Quick Chicken Dum Biryani
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 tbsp Saunf (coursly powdered using pestle and mortar)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 star anise
- 2" Cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 15 whole black pepper corns
- 6 garlic flakes finely chopped
- 1" ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 6 medium Onions chopped
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder ( choice, I have used it )
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 5-6 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee
Making of green paste ( Make a fine paste of the following ) :
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 fist full of coriander leaves
- 8 garlic cloves
- 4 green chillies
- 4-5 tbsp fresh yogur
Take a medium Pressure cooker. Add oil, when it heats, start fry all the spices one by one (Cumin, Saunf, Star anise, cinnamon, whole black pepper corns, cloves). Let the spices roast well to leave a plesant aroma , now add chopped ginger-garlic and green chillies. Saute well for 2-3 mins.
Add the Onions, add a tsp of salt and fry until the onions turns transparent.
Now add Red chilli powder & turmeric powder and saute well for 2 mins, followed by cumin and coriander powder with repeated stiring.
Now add the Green masala paste and saute well under medium flame for 4-5 minutes, till the raw smell of the masala vanish.
Add the Chicken pieces and stir well for 3-5 minutes. Now close the pressure cooker lid and keep the chicken to get cooked under small flame for 10-15 mins. Remember adjust the salt here. ( REMEMBER WE ARE NOT USING THE WHISTLE HERE )
See that in process of cooking you don't add any amount of water to chicken, let it get cooked in its own juice. While the chicken is getting cooked, we will start making Basmati Rice.
Basmati Rice cooking procedure :
- 2 1/2 cups of Dabur Basmati rice (Washed well and soaked for 30 mins, For 2 1/2 cups of rice add 4 1/2 cups of water. Note: Here I haven't added 1/2 cup more as the rice is already soaked, it contains little of water absorbed in it).
- Cook the Basmati in a wide vessel.
- First let the water boil well, after which add the drained basmati & little of salt. Let it boil well for 2-3 mins under high flame, after which close the lid and keep the flame to lowest heat. The Rice will need 10-15 minutes to get cooked. (See that you don't add much salt here)
- Keep watching the rice, it should only cook to 90% (You will see little bit water under rice, and this will be absorbed while it is cooked along chicken under Dum). When you see its done transfer the upper layer onto the chicken masala which is ready, add all the rice (the bottom most rice going on to the top).
- Now layer it with some chopped mint leaves and 2-3 tbsp of Kesar water (choice).
- Now close the lid and keep the heat to lowest and let the contents get cooked in lower heat for 8-10 minutes. [REMEMBER WE ARE NOT USING THE WHISTLE HERE]
After 8-10 minutes switch off the burner and let the cooker be keep aside for 5 minutes. When you open you can see that all the content have dried and the rice and chicken layer have been cooked to perfect!!! Wow, I just love Dum biryani!!! Enjoy the Biryani with a side dish along Raita.
You may also like these ...