Palak Murgh (Chicken With Spinach)
1 kg medium sized chicken
Whole spices :
- 1 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 2" cinnamom stick
- 1 tsp saunf/feenal seeds (Course powder using pestle mortar)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 4 pods cardamom (crush it with pestle)
- 2 mace/javitri
- 3 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium tomato diced
- Coriander leaves fine chops for garnish
- Coconut oil 6 tbsp, Ghee 3 tbsp
For chicken marination :
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
For making spinach paste :
- 2 medium sized onions chopped
- 9 flakes garlic
- 4 green chilli
- 1 tsp jeera
- 2 bunch cleaned Spinach
- 1 star anise
Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes with red chilli powder, turmeric powder, yogurt and salt.
Making of spinach paste :
- Take a kadai, heat 2 tbsp butter/ ghee. Add the cumins, garlic, green chillies saute for a while.
- Add the onions and fry till it turn golden brown.
- Now add the spinash leaves and just toss for 2-3 minutes in medium flame.
- Switch off the flame, cool the mixture and grind to smooth fine paste. [I have coursely ground it this time, but mostly I make smooth paste which is also better].
Take a kadai, fry al the whole spices one by one, followed by onions.
Fry the onions to golden brown.
Add the marinated chicken. Stir fry under medium flame for 3-5 minutes.
Now add the tomatoes and mix well. Add salt as required. Close the lid and cook for 15 minutes under low flame. Do not add any water, let the chicken cook in its own juices and the tomato also gives enough for liquid. This way of cooking makes the cooked content more tastier.
When the chicken is cooked add the Spinach paste, mix well. Cook untill the curry comes to a boil, keep stiring the content occasionally. Add water if you want a semiconsistant gravy. Adjust salt if needed.
When the curry comes to a boil and is cooked well garnish with the chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
You may also like these ...