- Maida/All purpose flour 1 cup
- Corn Flour 2 tblsp
- 2 tbsp bengal gram powder
- Thick Curd 3/4 cup(approximately)
- Baking soda 1/2 tbsp
- Ghee 2 tblsp
- Yellow food colour 1 pinch
- Oil + ghee for deep frying
For Sugar syrup :
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Rose essence/elachi powder (Optional)
- Boil the sugar and water together. Add the lemon juice and pinch of elachi and close the heat.
Mix the flour, besan (gram flour), corn flour, food color, & ghee together. Add the yogurt and mix well, making sure that there are no lumps and the batter is smooth.Consistency should be like vada batter. Keep it in a warm place for 12 hours/overnight or until it ferments well.Next day mix well with a ladle. It should be a sticky thick batter of dropping consistency..
In a flat bottomed pan, heat oil+ ghee mixture (1:1). To check if the oil is ready, put ont drop of batter in the oil, the batter should sizzle and come up without changing in color right away. Transfer the batter into a clean ketchup bottle/ketchup dispenser, you can also use piping bag if you have it. Squeeze the Jalebi batter out in the hot oil in a pretzel shape to about 2 inches in diameter Fry the Jalebis until golden-brown on both sides.
Transfer into the warm syrup. Let jalebi soak in the hot syrup for a few seconds and take out. Serve hot
You may also like these ...